here to inquire
601 Duquesne Union
Why choose Duquesne University?
- Professional and regional accreditations
- Ranked within the top 10 Catholic universities in the United States
- Ranked within the top seven percent of best university experiences for the cost
- Ranked as one of the safest campuses in the U.S.A.
- Ranked within the top 100 of most wired universities
- Ranked as one of the best educational experiences for building character
- Ranked within the top five of national Catholic universities with the greatest international population
- Ranked second among national Catholic universities with the greatest international diversity
here to proceed with your inquiry process.
What degrees and programs are offered at Duquesne?
(Graduate Degree Programs are italicized.)
Click here to select your academic preferences.
- School of Liberal Arts: Classical Civilization, Classics, Communication Studies, Computer Science, English, Greek, History, International Relations, Journalism, Latin, Mathematics, Media Studies, Modern Languages, Multimedia Arts, Philosophy, Political Science, Pre-Law, Pre-Osteopathic Medicine, Psychology, Sociology, Spanish, Studio Art, Theatre Arts, Theology, and World Literature.
* At the graduate level, Duquesne offers Masters of Arts in Church Administration and Canon Law, Communication, Computational Mathematics, English, Health Care Ethics, History (with optional specializations of Archival, Museum, Editing Studies), Liberal Studies, Multimedia Technology, Philosophy, Social and Public Policy (with optional specialization of Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies) and Theology (with optional specializations of Pastoral Ministry or Religion Education). At the Doctoral (Ph.D.) level, Duquesne offers English, Health Care Ethics, Philosophy, Psychology, Rhetoric, and Theology.
- School of Business: Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, International Business, Investment Management, Legal Studies in Business, Management, Marketing, Sports Marketing, Supply Chain Management and Technology Marketing.
* At the Masters level, Duquesne offers Business Administration (MBA), Taxation, and Information Systems Management. Dual degree programs include MBA / Juris Doctor (J.D.), MBA / MA Communication, MBA / MS Health Management Systems, MBA / MS Nursing, MBA / MS Pharmacy, MBA / MS Science and Environmental Management, MBA / MA Liberal Arts, MBA / MS Information Systems Management, MBA / MLS Liberal Studies, MBA / MLLS Leadership and Liberal Studies.
- School of Natural and Environmental Sciences: Binary Engineering, Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology and Physics.
* Masters are featured in Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Environmental Science and Management. Dual Degree Programs include MS Environmental Science and Management / MBA, MS Environmental Science and Management / J.D., MS Biology / MS Environmental Science and Management. An entry-level, five-year Masters Degree in Forensic Science is offered. Ph.D.s are offered in Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry. A certificate in Environmental Science Management is also available.
- School of Health Sciences: Athletic Training, Health Management Systems, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant and Speech-Language Pathology.
* Masters programs are available in Health Management Systems, Occupational Therapy, Physician Assistant, and Speech-Language Pathology. Duquesne also features a Master of Science in Rehabilitation Science, and Doctoral degrees in Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science.
- School of Education: Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary.
* Masters of Science are available in Counselor Education, Community Counseling Services, Marriage and Family Therapy, School Counseling, Educational Studies, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Instructional Technology, Program Evaluation, Reading and Language Arts, School Administration, School Psychology, School Supervision, Secondary (Communication / English and Foreign Language), Science (Biology, Chemistry, General Science and Physics), Social Studies, Mathematics and Special Education. Certificates of Advanced Graduate Study include Community Counseling Services, Marriage and Family Therapy, School Counseling and School Psychology. Doctoral (Ed.D.) degrees are offered in Educational Leadership, Instructional Leadership, Instructional Technology, and Counselor Education and Supervision. A Ph.D. in School Psychology is also available.
- School of Music: Music Education, Music Technology, Music Therapy and Performance.
* Masters of Music are available in Composition, Music Education, Performance, Sacred Music and Theory. Certificates are available in Music Education and Music Therapy.
- School of Nursing: Basic Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), Registered
Nurse (RN): BSN / MSN, Second Degree.
* Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) are available in Acute Care Clinical
Nurse Specialist, Family Nurse Practitioner, Forensic Nursing, Nursing
Administration, and Nursing Education. Post-Masters Certificates are available
in Family Nurse Practitioner, Forensic Nursing, Nursing Administration,
Nursing Education, Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, and Transcultural
/ International Nursing. There is also a Ph.D. in Nursing.
- School of Pharmacy: Six-year Doctor of Pharmacy Degree; integrated studies are also offered in the biological, chemical, pharmaceutical, administrative, behavioral, and clinical sciences are taught.
* Masters of Science are available in Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology-Toxicology and Pharmacy Administration, as well as MBA / MS Industrial Pharmacy. Doctoral degrees are offered in Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutics and Pharmacology-Toxicology
- School of Law: JD / MBA, JD / MA Communication, JD / MS Environmental Science and Management, JD / Master of Science, JD / Master of Divinity, JD / MS Taxation, JD / MSN Nursing Administration, and JD / MS School Administration. A special entry-level Masters Program in Forensic Science and the Law is also available.
Does Duquesne have any TOEFL requirements?
Does it have an English as a Second Language Program?
Undergraduate (Bachelor Degree): Duquesne does not require TOEFL of undergraduate students since we have an English as a Second Language Program on campus. All international students whose native language is not English must be tested for English proficiency once they arrive on campus. Your test results will determine your need for training.
If you have already taken the TOEFL, we ask you to submit your scores. A score of 575 (230 on the computer-based test) will exempt you from all testing except for the written portion of the placement exam. This process ensures that all students will be prepared for academic university-level courses in English. Students who have reached a certain level of English proficiency will be able to take academic classes along with ESL classes.
Graduate (Master and Doctoral Degrees): Most graduate programs on campus require that applicants submit the results from the TOEFL; however, each graduate program will make the decision if a student has a special situation that warrants consideration. Select your academic program, and contact us for details.
Does Duquesne offer scholarships or financial aid to international students?
Undergraduate (Bachelor Degrees): Duquesne offers the Libermann Scholarship to international undergraduate students. It is based on academic merit and ranges from $1,000 to $10,000 per year. The majority of these awards are given for the fall semester each year. Again, please contact us for details by telling us what academic program interests you, then completing the form that follows.
Music and athletic scholarships are also available for undergraduate students, and are based on talent. International students may submit a video of their athletic or music ability with their application if they wish to be considered for such financial aid.
Graduates (Master and Doctoral Degrees): International graduate students are also eligible for scholarships and assistantships through our various graduate programs. However, funding opportunities vary according to the program, so again, select your academic preferences, and contact us for details.
The Office of International Affairs (OIA)
When international students come to Duquesne, they receive an extensive orientation to the campus and the community at large. Part of this orientation includes the regular advising and support that the Office of International Affairs routinely offers on a day-to-day basis. Whether a student has a question on immigration regulations, a class or cultural opportunities, answers or guidance can be found in the OIA.
OIA's Profile of Diversity and Past Achievements:
* All U.S. states and territories are represented on campus
* Host to Fulbright, Muskie and Ron Brown Scholars
* Host to numerous exchange students from around the world
* Host to international students for the American Cultural Institute
* Recipient of NAFSA: Association of International Educators COOP grant
* Recipient of formal recognition by the Overseas Advisors of the USIA
* Coordinator of the U.S. University Tours to the province of Quebec, Canada
* Partner with numerous international agencies and organizations
* Co-sponsor of the African Church Peacemaker Colloquim
About Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Duquesne is a University with much to share. Our classes are small, and our faculty is accessible. We are in the city of Pittsburgh, but removed from it because we sit above it on a hill occupied by us alone. We can walk to the city in ten minutes, but no city traffic spills on to our campus.
|We are a well-kept secret, a contradiction, a blending of opposites: We are a university with a French name too hard to spell to be a household word, but we are rated one of America's Top Ten Catholic Universities by U.S. News and World Report. We are a private university, but rated as Very Competitive and as one of the country's Best College Buys by Barron's. We are an urban campus in one of America's major cities, but rated one of the safest campuses in America by USA Today.
Thanks for your interest in Duquesne University! We are excited about the prospect of exchanging ideas with you. To learn more about us, review all of our academic programs, and select the ones that interest you. Then complete the inquiry form, and we'll respond to you directly.