here to inquire
English Language Institute
11200 SW 8th Street
Miami, Florida 33199
The English Language Institute at Florida International University
|Our vision is to become one of the leading institutes in the U.S. by setting standards of excellence in innovative curriculum design, teaching, professional development, and cross-cultural understanding.
Our mission is to provide quality English language instruction to all individuals who have chosen English as their medium of communication for academic or professional pursuits, and to promote international and intercultural understanding.
I look forward to personally welcoming you to our University in beautiful and sunny Miami! I am sure it will be one of the most exciting and culturally enriching experiences of your life.
Director, English Language Institute
here to select your program, and inquire directly to Florida International University.
A Three-Tier Approach: Miami, FIU and the ELI
At the ELI, we believe there is no better way to secure solid English
language skills than through our concentrated, personalized classroom curriculum,
and no better way to practice those language skills than outside the classroom.
We encourage students to interact with one another and to use English
during social and cultural situations beyond the classroom during their
stay in the U.S. Therefore we would like our students to enjoy our city,
our University and our English Language Institute!
Miami is an international metropolis and the Miami International Airport
is one of the largest in the world. Although Miami is known for its beaches
and outdoor activities, it is also cosmopolitan city offering great theater,
music concerts, opera, art festivals, and museums. You will want to bring
a swimsuit, but you might also want to bring a jacket and tie or a nice
dress for special occasions. For example, our Intensive English
Program Graduation Dinner is an elegant event.
||Want to learn more?
Click here to proceed with the FIU inquiry process.
What makes the English Language Institute so special?
- Individual attention to students' needs shown in the personal attention given to our students both inside and outside the classroom.
- Excellent teacher-student interaction ensured by the size of our classes (10-15 students).
- Superb extracurricular activities built into the program curriculum.
- Caring, supportive staff dedicated to making our students' stay in
our Institute a pleasant and memorable experience.
- Community-related cultural and social activities chosen to encourage
our students' awareness of American culture.
- A proven commitment to academic excellence supported by the continued research into teaching and learning methods.
- A global reputation for excellence in teaching English, recognized by academic advisors around the world.
- Long-standing membership in the University Consortium of Intensive English Programs (UCIEP),
the American Association of Intensive English Programs (AAIEP), and the
Florida Consortium of English Programs (FCEP).
- U.S. News and World Report's ranking our University as one of the top 150 universities in the United States.
Programs / Tuition / Facilities / Admissions Procedures
Programs Offered by the English Language Institute:
The ELI offers many distinct programs, each designed with the diverse needs and skills of international students in mind.
- The Intensive English Program helps international students make the transition to American academic life in a relatively short time through full-time non-credit instruction in English as a second language. TOEFL preparation is available as an elective course.
- The Academic English Program features language classes in communicative grammar and reading / writing in a more intensive format than our other programs currently offered in the afternoon or evenings. TOEFL preparation is available as an elective course.
- The University Bridge Program is designed to help professionals, business executives, and serious university-bound students who have already studied English and completed advanced levels to obtain the preparation they need to succeed in the professional, business, or academic world.
- The Summer Institute (four weeks) integrates grammar and conversation, allowing students to study English in a semi-academic setting at all levels of proficiency. TOEFL preparation classes are available through the Institute for high-intermediate to advanced students.
- The Intensive Conversation Program is a non-academic immersion program in English conversation. During this practical 3-week course, students will talk, talk, and talk in English all day. If you want English conversation only, this is the program for you.
- The Business English Program is a 6-week full-time academic course for high-intermediate to advanced students of English with an emphasis on business. The program's primary focus is on communicating more proficiently in the business community.
||Fees (+ $100 Deposit)
|The Intensive English Program
|The Academic English Program
|The University Bridge Program
|The Summer Institute
Grammar Conversation or
|The Intensive Conversation Program
|The Business English Program
Learning Laboratories at the English Language Institute:
The ELI incorporates the use of three types of learning laboratories,
each located in the Institute's main building, into the ELI curriculum:
- AudioVisual Lab: Interactive video facilities that help students achieve English proficiency through the use of multimedia feedback.
- Language Lab: An interactive audio facility that is used as an integral part of all language classes.
- Computer Lab: A facility featuring a wide range of up-to-date computer terminals, each equipped with easy-to-use language learning software that enhances English language learning.
Admission to an American University:
ELI academic advisors work closely with students in choosing and applying
to American universities including FIU. Students can begin their studies
at FIU by receiving Special Student Status. Although admission to the
ELI does not constitute admission to any other department of Florida International
University, students who have completed one full semester in the Intensive
English Program can be granted Special Student Status at the University
for the subsequent semester if they meet the following requirements:
- A score of 490 on the TOEFL.
- Grades of B or higher in all ELI courses.
- Recommendations from their ELI instructors.
To register in the English Language Institute:
- Complete the registration form found on our web page.
- Send a certified bank letter indicating a balance of at least $US 9,000.00 per student.
- Send a non-refundable $100.00 Registration Fee, which is deductible from your tuition. The balance of your tuition is due upon arrival.
- Mailing Address: ELI at FIU, 11200 SW 8th Street, LC 101, Miami, Florida 33199 U.S.A.
- Under no circumstances should a student come to the University without having received the official Letter of Admission and the I-20 Form.
Florida International University is a four-year, fully accredited,
multi-campus urban research institution located in the vibrant city of
Miami, Florida. Students at the English Language Institute enjoy the extraordinary benefits
of life at FIU. The ELI facilities are located on the University Park campus,
10 miles west of the business center of downtown Miami, with bus transportation
available to shopping, beaches and Miami International Airport.
More than 38,000 students from over 120 different countries attend FIU.
The University boasts 1,000 faculty members, 117,500 alumni and 21 different
colleges offering more than 200 degree programs, including Business, Technology,
Engineering, Law, Medicine, Arts and Sciences, and Hospitality Management.
ELI students can mingle with American and international students from other University programs by participating in sports such as basketball, soccer, and track. Available gymnasium facilities include a Nautilus Athletic Fitness Center as well as an Olympic-sized swimming pool and tennis courts. Students can also join any one of more than 100 student organizations.
FIU maintains a reputation for excellence in the arts. ELI students on campus will appreciate:
- Cutting-edge visual art exhibitions at the Art Museum at FIU.
- Contemporary sculpture by celebrated artists such as Isamu Noguchi, Richard Serra, Willem de Kooning and Joan Miro in the Art Park sculpture garden.
- Literary events with nationally known authors at the Writers on the Bay reading series.
- Spirited concerts in a year-round music series featuring music faculty member, renowned trumpet player and Grammy award winner, Arturo Sandoval.
- Acclaimed dramatic productions at the University Theatre.
Come to the English Language Institute at Florida International University -
You'll love the difference!
We look forward to welcoming you. For more info, review all of our programs and select the ones that interest you. Then complete all fields on the inquiry form, and we'll respond to you directly.