Houston Baptist University was founded in 1960, and
is a coeducational Texas Baptist institution. We enroll approximately 2,300
students including graduate and undergraduate students, and our student population
reflects the diverse cultural makeup of Houston.
At Houston Baptist, our academic programs are designed to give you the opportunity to grow through expanding your knowledge and understanding. Student activities are planned to reinforce that learning process. Our location in a large metropolitan city also offers you unique opportunities that will add to your educational experience.
The Intensive English Institute at Houston Baptist University provides non-credit, academic, intensive English language instruction for non-native English speakers. The intensive English program at IEI is designed for students who are working toward these goals:
- entry into a U.S. university
- meeting English requirements for professional purposes
- increasing English skills for personal growth
- developing cross-cultural awareness
Intensive English Program: HBU's Intensive English Institute provides high quality English training with opportunities for social interaction and personal development. These features contribute to helping all students meet their goals.
- eleven-week sessions (summer sessions vary in length)
- more than 200 hours of classroom instruction per session
- eight levels of study
- audio / computer language learning lab
- a variety of teaching methods
- classes with an opportunity for all students to participate
- integrated language skills (reading, writing, grammar and conversation)
- audit and credit classes at HBU for advanced level students
- faculty with university degrees and experience in teaching international students
- opportunities to join clubs, intramural sports and host families
Special Programs For Individuals and Small Groups: In addition to the
Intensive English Program, the Intensive English Institute offers a
variety of opportunities for individuals and groups to study the particular
areas of English they need. Arrangements can be made for these special areas:
- accent reduction
- essay writing
- children's groups
- on-site training
- evening ESL (English as a Second Language) classes
TOEFL and More! International students must have
the required TOEFL score (minimum of 550 paper-based or 213 computer-based)
to enter the university, but they must also have other skills to be successful
in university classes.
In the TOEFL and More! program, students study test-taking strategies,
review grammar, and practice essay writing. These skills will be useful in taking
the TOEFL. In addition, students will benefit from the following features not
usually available in TOEFL preparation programs:
- learning how to take notes in university classes
- discovering how to effectively use the library for research
- acquiring the skills necessary for writing a research paper
- having 200 classroom hours with an instructor
- taking credit or audit classes at HBU
Students must meet English proficiency requirements to enroll in this program. Students who do not meet these requirements may enroll in other levels of the Intensive English Institute program.
Calendar, Tuition and Fees per Quarter (11 weeks)
for the Intensive English Institute
Spring Session begins in late February / early March
Summer Session begins in late May / early June
Fall Session begins in late August / early September
Winter Session begins in mid / late November
|Application and Consultation Fee (one time only)
|Medical Insurance (approximate)
|TOTAL (plus insurance, if required)
|Late Registration Fee
(This fee is charged after the scheduled registration date.)
|Books and Supplies (approximate)
Ready to enroll?
Learn more about the admissions process by
Choose your academic preferences, then complete the form.
Undergraduate Majors and Programs at Houston Baptist University will prepare you for an exciting and fulfilling career, personal growth and a lifetime of learning, and for making a contribution to your community and your faith. And in every program you will benefit from the commitment to academic excellence and the concern for you as an individual that is at the heart of Houston Baptist University.
|Computer Information Systems
Get started early.
Choose your academic preferences, then complete the form.
Admissions counselors will respond to you directly.
Graduate Programs at Houston Baptist: A commitment
to lifelong learning often involves the pursuit of an advanced degree. New
responsibilities in the workplace require new skills and abilities. Or perhaps
you are intellectually curious. A master's degree enables you to add depth
and breadth to your knowledge in a field, and often to bring together several
different fields in one program. Houston Baptist University offers 10
master's degree programs designed to provide you with the knowledge and experiences
you seek. And each of the programs benefits from the qualities that characterize
the University: a commitment to academic excellence and a concern for each
student as an individual.
|Master of Arts in Psychology
||Master of Business Administration (MBA)
|Master of Arts in Christian Counseling
||Master of Science: Health Administration
|Master of Arts in Theological Studies
||Master of Science: Management
|Master of Liberal Arts
||Master of Science: Human Resources Management
|Master of Education
||Master of Science: Management Information Systems
Want to learn more?
here to select your academic preferences,
and proceed with the inquiry process.
Study in the dynamic Houston Metropolitan Area:
- Houston is the fourth most populous city in the United States (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago).
- Founded in 1836, the City of Houston has a population of 1.9 million.
- Houston boasts more than 40 colleges, university and institutions - offering higher education options to suit all interests.
- Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world. Altogether 4.8 million patients visit them each year.
- Houston has a Theater District second only to New York City with its concentration of seats in one geographic area. Located downtown, the 17-block Theater District is home to eight performing arts organizations with more than 12,000 seats.
- Houston has more than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations, 90 of which are devoted to multicultural and minority arts.
- More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston area.
- Houston is home to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The largest rodeo in the world, it attracts more than 1.8 million visitors each year.
- Houston has a young population; 37 percent of Houstonians are 24 years old or younger and 34 percent are between the ages of 25 and 44.
- Houston has the second lowest cost of living among major American cities.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Intensive English Institute at Houston Baptist University! To learn more, review
all of our programs and select the ones that interest you. Then complete
the inquiry form, and we'll respond to you directly.