The American Language Institute, a division of San Diego State University's College of Extended Studies, is one of the premier and most internationally respected English language programs in the United States. Since 1974, the ALI has assisted thousands of international students in realizing their academic and professional goals. Why do so many students choose the ALI?
- Our experienced counselors assist prospective students during the application process.
- Our classes are taught by nationally recognized teachers who are trained in the latest teaching methods.
- Students have the opportunity to explore beautiful San Diego, famous for its ideal climate, friendly people, safety, sandy beaches and recreational opportunities.
- Our institute is part of San Diego State University (SDSU), the third largest university in California. Advanced ALI students may take SDSU classes for credit with American students, and all ALI students may use campus facilities.
- Students learn in a modern building with state-of-the-art computer and language labs. They enjoy free access to e-mail and the Internet.
- Because the ALI is one of the largest university-based ESL institutions in the United States, we are able to offer many levels and specialization to suit students' different English needs and abilities.
- Academic advising is available for students who wish to apply to a U.S. college, university or vocational program.
- Because the ALI serves up to 3,000 students per year from more than 70 different countries, students make friends from around the world.
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Association of American Intensive English Programs (AAIEP)
- University Consortium of Intensive English Programs (UCIEP)
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- International Association of English Language Teachers of English as Foreign Language (IATEFL)
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
|Seeking a U.S. Graduate Degree?
The American Language Institute
is your bridge to U.S. higher education.
ALI Pre-MBA and Graduate Preparation Programs offer students:
- State-of-the art GMAT, GRE and TOEFL preparation
- TOEFL Waiver to the SDSU Graduate Degree Programs (including MBA / MSBA) for advanced ALI students
- Advice in evaluating and selecting U.S. MBA / Graduate programs
- Expert assistance in creating / optimizing an effective MBA application package
- Development of skills that are critical for success in an American MBA / Graduate program
Additional ALI Programs include:
- Semester at SDSU*
- Hospitality and Tourism Management Certificates with Internship*
- Business Certificate Programs with Internships*
- English for Academic Purposes
- International English Communications
*Credit-bearing undergraduate SDSU classes
ALI Pre-MBA students have been accepted the following U.S. MBA and graduate business programs:
|Alliant International University
Case Western Reserve
Claremont (Peter Drucker)
CSU Long Beach
CSU San Bernardino
CSU San Marcos
New York University (NYU)
Oregon State University
San Francisco State University
San Diego State University
University of Colorado, Boulder
University of Denver
University of Miami
University of Missouri-Columbia
University of Portland
University of San Diego
Washington University in St. Louis
Location: San Diego, California
The American Language Institute is located on the beautiful campus of San Diego State University, and is a university-sponsored program. SDSU is located in a residential neighborhood about 18 kilometers from downtown San Diego, and is a major transit center for the public trolley and buses. San Diego is California's second-largest city and is bordered by the Pacific Ocean, Mexico, the Anza-Borrego desert, and the Laguna Mountains. Also within a few hours' drive are Los Angeles, Palm Springs and Orange County, making San Diego the ideal location to study English.
We invite you to join us! We look forward to welcoming you to the American Language Institute at San Diego State University in California. To learn more, review all of our programs and select the ones that interest you. Then complete the inquiry form, and we'll respond to you directly.