About the English Language Center: The ELC helps students from all over the world reach their personal learning goals and become confident communicators with exceptional Intensive English, Academic Preparation and Professional Training programs. Courses are offered on-campus and online, providing students with flexible learning opportunities. A team of dedicated, friendly staff provide a wide range of support services to assist students.
The ELC has made a difference in my life. The courses have definitely been demanding, but satisfying as well. You have truly helped me grow both personally and professionally, and have been inspiring. - Cesar Bazo, Peru
English Language and International Programs: The ELC offers high-quality programs for diverse international learners such as college-bound students, working professionals, TESOL professionals, scholars or young students. Part-time or full-time options are available.
* Intensive English Program (IEP): A multi-level language program providing English skills training in reading, writing, speaking, listening, grammar and pronunciation. Students select specialized courses in Academic Skills, U.S. Culture, Professional Communication and other special topics to accommodate individual learning goals. This program is open to students and professionals.
The program includes 20 hours of instruction per week in classes of 10 to 15 students, plus language lab instruction and tutoring.
Students are eligible to apply for conditional admission to undergraduate programs at UMBC without taking the TOEFL exam after successful completion of Level 4 (high-intermediate) courses.
The IEP is accredited by the American Association of Intensive English Programs.
* Advanced English Courses: Advanced level courses ideally suited for individuals interested in enhancing English language skills for purposes of pursuing academic degrees, improving professional communication skills, teaching English as foreign language or conducting scholarly research. Many of these courses are offered online.
* Online TOEFL Preparation Course: This online course prepares students for both the new Internet-based (iBT) and the computer-based (CBT) tests. Coursework includes English language skills review, test-taking strategies and practice sample tests.
* Cultural Enrichment Program: UMBC Summer Discovery is a two-week fun, adventurous summer program for students 13 years and older. The program gives students an opportunity to learn about the local culture and environment of Maryland while improving their English language and intercultural skills.
* Teacher Training Program: Practicing or aspiring teachers can select between credit and non-credit program options for enhancing their ESOL teaching skills; many courses are offered online.
* Customized Training: The ELC has expertise and experience in developing customized English language training for professionals in Education, Medical Research, Health Care Administration, Business Management and Information Technology fields.
Other Programs offered by UMBC Continuing and Professional Studies (CPS): This division of UMBC offers customized, high quality, credit and non-credit training, certificate and degree programs. Offerings include Business and Management, Teacher Education, Liberal Arts and Humanities, Professional Studies, Science and Engineering as well as Training and Development.
About University of Maryland, Baltimore County: UMBC enrolls more than 11,000 students, who come from nearly every state in the U.S. and 80 foreign countries. The UMBC campus is known for its energy and entrepreneurial spirit, leadership in technology, and international partnerships. The Carnegie Foundation ranks UMBC in the category of Research Universities with high research activity.
Accreditation: UMBC is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the Accrediting Board for Engineering Technology, Inc.; the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
Living in Baltimore, Maryland: The UMBC campus campus is located on 500 suburban acres in Baltimore, Maryland. Conveniently located within the culturally-rich Washington, D.C.-Baltimore corridor, students have access to wide variety of restaurants, specialty shops, art galleries, museums and other cultural attractions. Within a few hours, students can travel to the beautiful Maryland eastern shore to experience all the natural beauty of the Chesapeake Bay and coastal area, or travel to the majestic mountains in Western Maryland.
We look forward to welcoming you to the UMBC English Language Center! To learn more, review all of our programs and select the ones that interest you. Then complete the inquiry form, and we'll respond to you directly.